Reporting to the U15 Executive Director and under the overall direction of the Data Exchange Steering Committee the coordinator works with the Chair of the U15DE to facilitate the collection of data in formats accessible to institutional representatives that serve two primary purposes: to inform the individual and collective mandate and mission of the U15 institutions and; to support the U15 advocacy objectives.
U15 Secretariat support
- Serve as liaison between the U15 Secretariat and the U15DE to ensure effective two way communication about the priorities of the Executive Heads and the status and outcomes of the project work of the DE.
- Work with the Director, Data Analysis and Policy to develop strategic input to the Executive Director in support of the goals and objectives of the U15 Executive Heads and the sub-groups.
- Under the direction of the U15 Executive Director, prepare reports for the Steering Committee, the Executive Heads, the Vice-Presidents (Academic) and Provosts, the Vice-Presidents (Research), and Executive Director as required.
- Conduct research and analysis in support of collaboration with various national and international organizations with interests similar to those of the U15DE.
- Establish schedules and coordinate the monthly DE teleconferences and the annual face-to-face meeting in consultation with the Executive Assistant U15 and host-university as appropriate.
- Support the DE and the DE Steering Committee in all activities such as: scheduling, coordinating teleconference, pre-meeting agenda and materials, and drafting minutes.
- Provide orientation and development for DE representatives.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- Coordinate the data collection, submission and analysis activities of the U15 DE representatives to ensure they are aligned with and support U15 priorities as determined by the Executive Heads.
- Collaborate with individual project caretakers in improving data integrity and quality.
- Establish schedules for the submission of data for each exchange item and follow up with caretakers and institutional representatives to ensure adherence to schedules.
- Work collaboratively with the DE Executive to identify project caretakers for purposes such as data collection, data integrity, analysis and issues arising from each ongoing dataset.
- Coordinate data submissions between member institutions and create or maintain various required databases using appropriate technologies.
- Maintain a secure U15DE electronic file exchange and develop it as needed.
- Establish and maintain, through various media (e.g., email, listserv, mailing list, web conference), tools to allow for communications and participation of the DE.
- Ensure that the databases are readily accessible to institutional representatives, but secure from unauthorized access.
- Produce reports or extracts from databases upon request from U15 institutions or external parties, as authorized by the Executive Director or DE Chair, in accordance with agreed U15DE disclosure and access protocols.
- Monitor technological and methodological developments to ensure the DE continues to be effective and responsive to the needs of the U15.
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission and operation of the U15.
- Excellent communication skills to allow for effective interactions with DE representatives with different modes of operation, requiring a high level of adaptability.
- Ability to exercise tact, rigour, discretion and good judgement in dealing with highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, set priorities for own work and coordinate activities within tight deadlines.
- Work within an organization that is geographically scattered, requiring considerable independent judgement.
- Experience in project management and coordination with strong organization and follow-up skills is essential.
- Extensive numeracy skills and strong computer background, including excellent knowledge of spreadsheet and database software packages, as well as Web application and management tools.
- Ability to deal with data in different and sometimes incompatible formats
- Several years’ experience in similar data related work in a university setting or equivalent demonstrated abilities.
- An advanced education, including courses in statistics and research methodology.
- Experience with a high level programing language (e.g. Python) an asset.
- Experience deploying and managing databases an asset.
- Fluency in English and French, both written and oral, a significant asset.
- The position is full-time.
- The position is Ottawa based, however exceptional candidates who live outside the Ottawa-area may be considered.
- Extended periods of time at the computer or on the telephone requiring long periods seated.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please submit cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2013.